Wednesday, October 18, 2006

YouTube Shows Bad Teaching

In getting ready for a presentation, I spent several hours on YouTube. I found some amazing things for use in a classroom such as other students' or classes' production of Shakespeare.

However, the thing that shocked me the most was all the cellphone videos taken of teachers. Almost all of these depict teaching at its worst – boring, off of topic, wasting time, etc. From the descriptions I sense that the teachers were not aware of being recorded. It hurts to see such "bad" teaching. Maybe if we are thought that we were being recorded then we would teach better.

Flickr Hints, suggests that “You can't take pictures of people and post them on the web without theirpermission – at least, that's the position in the UK.”

2 Comments:

At 8:55 AM, Blogger Mr.D said...

In NJ cell phones are not allowed in classrooms by students, so they chance of them being recorded is slim. But how is it that teachers are not aware they are be videotaped by a cellphone?True it is a small device that is easily hidden but must be held up so that you can video someone. I think youtube can be a great teaching tool, the only problem I have is the content. I have used teacher tube but it is a little slow loading. You tube has somem great video but you have to read thru lots of inappropriate stuff to get to what you want, I wish they had better cotrol if it.

 
At 4:30 PM, Blogger Anne Bubnic said...

A better choice for content might be Teacher Tube.

(http://www.teachertube.com)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home